Setup and Use TrueCrypt in Windows 8

Written by Alan Thursday, 20 September 2012 11:00

When it comes to running software, Windows 8 isn’t much different from previous iterations of the Microsoft operating system.  One thing many Windows users need, or want, to do is protect their files with encryption and TrueCrypt is perhaps the best known and most widely trusted encryption services available on the web today.

Once you have downloaded and installed TrueCrypt you can begin setting the encryption program up on your computer.  The first step is obviously to open the program.  You will find a number of drives listed and below them you will see several options for mounting, dismounting and more.

truecrypt drives Setup and Use TrueCrypt in Windows 8

To encrypt a file you can click the “Create Volume” button and then choose “Create an encrypted file container” and click the “Next” button.  Now choose a volume type and again click the “Next” button.  From here you can browse to the file or folder you wish to protect.

truecrypt volume location Setup and Use TrueCrypt in Windows 8

You will be prompted to replace the file with the new encrypted version.  Click Next and choose as encryption type (by default this is set to AES).  You will be prompted to choose several more options, such as volume size.

TrueCrypt is open source so there is no need to worry about security issues like backdoors.  It’s available for Windows, Mac, and Linux and is completely free, although they do ask for a donation, which we recommend giving if you have the means and like the software.  The app essentially work no different under Windows 8 than in past versions of the OS.  You can grab the program over at truecrypt.org.

Setup and Use TrueCrypt in Windows 8

Alan

Alan is the owner and editor of Making Windows Easy. In addition to writing about technology he is also an avid distance runner and hiker. Read More

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook

Related posts:

9 Comments

1. martin   |  Friday, 30 November 2012 at 10:59 pm

Comment: I’ve been using Truecrypt for years on XP/Vista, but until the writer releases the official version for Windows 8, I think users are running a danger of losing all their encrypted data if version 7.1a crashes under Windows 8. This is much more serious than having the “inconvenience” of a XP/Vista/W7 version of some other program crash running under Windows 8.

2. Phil   |  Friday, 04 January 2013 at 6:34 am

Why the hell is there no specific version of TC for Windows 8 yet? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s shipping on everything now.

3. Alan   |  Friday, 04 January 2013 at 6:43 am

I am sure it is coming

4. Mark   |  Saturday, 19 January 2013 at 4:24 am

Hi,

I just upgraded to Windows 8. When I tried to open encrypted folders using TrueCrypt is says the volumes are now read only. It will not let me add new files, nor change existing files. Is there any way around this?

5. Seppo Sahrakorpi   |  Tuesday, 12 February 2013 at 12:45 pm

Hi Mark,

I had a similar problem also, and a little Googling did not provide direct answer, so here we go…

You need to mount the TC volume, go to root dir, and choose Properties, and then Security tab, and then Advanced and do some changes there:

* Change ‘Administrator’ as the owner of the TC mount, including all child objects, files and folders.
    * Give Administrator full rights to all content, including all child objects, files and folders.
    * Add a new user (i.e. your W8 username, in my case Seppo Sahrakorpi), and give this user full access to all content, including all child objects, files and folders.

With the above steps I am now able to read-write my TC mount.

It goes without saying that you should absolutely backup your TC file before mounting it and doing the above changes.

Good luck,
    Seppo

6. Jon   |  Sunday, 05 May 2013 at 5:18 am

Hello Seppo,
    Thank you for giving us a solution. Alas, I don’t find the way to go to root dir and to change the admin as owner. May I ask you to give us more explanations ?
    Thanx in advance.
    Jon

7. Seppo Sahrakorpi   |  Monday, 06 May 2013 at 2:13 pm

Hi Jon,

I meant that you should open Windows Explorer and open the root directory level, for example ‘F:’, where F: is your Truecrypt mount.

You can then right click ‘Properties’ for ‘F:’ and follow the steps above.

Good luck.

Thanks,
    Seppo

8. Jon   |  Tuesday, 07 May 2013 at 1:49 pm

In the meantime, I found an easy way which could help anyone : I create new container and copy the content of the read-only one to the new container.

9. Jon   |  Tuesday, 07 May 2013 at 1:50 pm