Windows 8 Metro App Spotlight: TuneIn Radio

Written by Alan Sunday, 3 June 2012 03:42

tunein app logo Windows 8 Metro App Spotlight: TuneIn Radio

With the launch of the Release Preview version of Windows 8 just a few days ago, Microsoft also launched a slew of new apps in the Windows Store.  One of the new apps is called TuneIn, a radio app that boasts more than 60,000 stations available on-demand.  It’s one of the featured new apps so we gave it a try.

When you first launch the app it will ask for permission to access your location.  Once allowed it will display a menu of listening options such as Local Radio, Music, News, Sports, Talk, Podcasts, and Languages.  Each of these options gives you a sub-menu when clicked.  For instance, “Music” displays 20different genres along with a few of the top stations.

tunein app menu Windows 8 Metro App Spotlight: TuneIn Radio

The app is free in the Windows Store.  You will need to be running the Release Preview version of Windows 8 to access and install it.  We expect many competitors to begin popping up soon, such as the big names like IHeartRadio, Pandora, and Spotify.

Windows 8 Metro App Spotlight: TuneIn Radio

Alan

Alan is the owner and editor of Making Windows Easy. In addition to writing about technology he is also an avid distance runner and hiker. Read More

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook

Related posts:

6 Comments

1. Richardt   |  Saturday, 09 June 2012 at 6:12 am

Thank you for the info, I’ve been using TuneIn for a long time now – it’s great. I also have this but it will not run as an Metro App – have you had any issues? If I run connection to TuneIn it as a shortcut from the desktop it runs fine – but this shows the splash screen and then it’s just black?? Any ideas?

2. Gutty   |  Saturday, 14 July 2012 at 10:38 pm

It’s a great app but yesterday I reinstalling all OS windows 8 but I can’t find again the app in the metro store somebody knows if still on line the app or it’s only in my PC the problem thanks

3. Alan   |  Sunday, 15 July 2012 at 8:10 am

I did a search and it seems to be gone from the store now for some reason.

4. alexstrand7   |  Tuesday, 07 August 2012 at 2:15 pm

It’s not gone it is there but it seems to only support ARM, I have found it on this link http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/en-us/app/tunein-radio/a2b86ed9-4db2-4ded-ae34-aa44530370ff

5. alexstrand7   |  Tuesday, 07 August 2012 at 2:16 pm

I think its either because it only support ARM or you have to wait to RTM version comes out

6. alexstrand7   |  Tuesday, 07 August 2012 at 2:19 pm

I have found out they pulled the app.