How To Sync Bookmarks In The Latest Firefox 4 Beta Download
Written by Alan Friday, 12 November 2010 08:00
Recently I wrote an article about using Zinkmo to sync bookmarks in Firefox (and IE). It was the beginning of my exploration of what I’d do if Xmarks really went away. When Firefox 4 was released in Beta a few months ago one of the features everyone was excited about was Sync. Now we are up to Beta 6 and Xmarks is in trouble so I thought it was high-time I took a look at Sync.
1. I will assume that you are already running Firebox 4 Beta. If you are click Tools => Set Up Sync.
2. You will greeted, first, with a box asking if you have never used Google Sync before or if you are using it another PC.
3. I clicked I’ve never used Sync before and then set up my account. To make this easy I chose the default Connect to Firefox Sync Server then chose a user name, password, and entered my email address. You have the option to set up your own custom server for storing your bookmarks, but we’ll leave that for another time.
4. You will now have to choose a Secret Phrase at least 12 characters long. Make sure you remember it because you will need it int eh future.
5. Now create a Computer Name and choose to Sync Everything or Use my custom settings.
6. Click Next and then enter the captia to prove you’re a person and then you are all done.
This was the simplest way of setting this up. As I said you can set it up to use a different server and you can change how and what gets synced. In the future we will take a look at the custom server option. For now, though, at least all of your bookmarks are protected and can easily be reinstalled on your PC if the need arises and also installed on other PC’s that you choose. And if you bookmark a site on your laptop it will be available on desktop as well.