How To Sync Outlook With An LG Phone

Written by Alan Thursday, 16 September 2010 08:00

outlook to lg How To Sync Outlook With An LG PhoneMy wife finally decided to let go of here Palm Centro phone.  It’s time was up…had been up for a while actually.  Since she is not much of a technology geek she was adamant that she did not need a smart phone and didn’t want to pay for a data plan she never used.  So she ordered herself an LG Cosmos, which is a quite a nice little phone if you don’t want much in the way of apps and don’t need web browsing (well, it CAN do that, but it’s not ideal).  It can get your email as well (again, not ideal).  But, it’s a solid phone with a nice keyboard.

The first issue to arise was getting her contacts from the Centro to the Cosmos.  Verizon helpfully includes a sheet of instructions in the package.  Of course they explain that the ONLY way to do this is by downloading their app, Backup Assistant, at $1.99 per MB for phones without a data plan.  The program, or app, (which is free) is only about 1MB, but it’s the point of the matter.

The second issue, which I didn’t think I could solve, was that we have shared Google Calendars.  The LG Cosmos has a calendar program, but I seriously doubted I could get Outlook’s calendar imported to it.

It didn’t take much nosing around online to solve all of these issues.  Here’s how to do it.

1. If you need to get your Google calendar into Outlook then you have several options.  There are two I would recommend.  The first is Google’s own sync tool.  It works great, but it only syncs your primary calendar.  If you have multiple calendar, as we do, then you can use SyncMyCal, which I reviewed a while back.

2. Make sure Outlook is closed and download and install.

3. Once the plug-in is installed open Outlook and you now see a menu item LG Outlook Sync.

outlook lg sync How To Sync Outlook With An LG Phone

4. Click on the menu and choose Sync Option and then set it up to sync contacts and calendar in whatever way you want.

options How To Sync Outlook With An LG Phone

5. Once you have chosen and saved your settings you can click Sync Device and you’re done.

syncing How To Sync Outlook With An LG Phone

How To Sync Outlook With An LG Phone

Alan

Alan is the owner and editor of Making Windows Easy. In addition to writing about technology he is also an avid distance runner and hiker. Read More

More Posts - Website - Twitter - Facebook

Related posts:

10 Comments

1. cal   |  Friday, 21 January 2011 at 7:53 pm

What if you only use google and not outlook? Is the sync just as easily without the extra outlook step?

2. Alan   |  Friday, 21 January 2011 at 8:12 pm

Afraid not. You need Outlook for this. I know of no way to go straight from Google to the LG device. Sorry.

3. Wendy   |  Monday, 18 April 2011 at 1:39 pm

I can’t get the LG sync to work with Outlook 2010. I’ve heard you can do it through Windows Media Center but can’t figure that out either. Any suggestions?

4. Heidi   |  Wednesday, 11 May 2011 at 4:10 pm

Thank you so much for this easy to use instruction manual. I usually have my boyfriend do all this stuff for me but it feels good to do it without needing his help. Thank you again!!

5. ulrich rauch   |  Wednesday, 17 August 2011 at 8:18 am

I am trying to find the plug in LG Outlook Sync. Cannot find it anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

6. Anders   |  Tuesday, 03 January 2012 at 11:27 am

Hi, Wendy – I have the same problem.. There is no way to synchronize my Outlook 2010 contacts with the LG-P990.
    …How come this is so crap even in 2012 ??? Is there any intelligence out there that can code some smart app to do this??

Regds Anders

7. Matthew Hall   |  Friday, 06 April 2012 at 9:29 am

Hi Alan – Just love this tool and went to install it on my home computer and start utilizing. However, when I try to click the download link in step #2 above (http://www.lgmobilephones.com/outlook.aspx), a new page opens but it is blank and nothing happens. Is this tool still being offered by you? Thanks and in the meantime, I shall keep trying.

MjH

8. Alan   |  Friday, 06 April 2012 at 6:08 pm

I was never offering it, it’s not my app. It was offered by LG, but it appears that it’s no longer available.

9. Matthew Hall   |  Monday, 09 April 2012 at 10:50 am

Hi Alan – thanks for the prompt reply. If you don’t have an .exe file saved someplace that you can share with me directly via email, I’ll continue my searching around via the net. Thanks!

10. Gabe   |  Thursday, 28 June 2012 at 10:24 pm

Hello-has anyone found the lg link yet? If so could you please post it or send it to my e-mail. Thanks so much!