How To Sync Outlook With An LG Phone
Written by Alan Thursday, 16 September 2010 08:00
My wife finally decided to let go of here Palm Centro phone. It’s time was up…had been up for a while actually. Since she is not much of a technology geek she was adamant that she did not need a smart phone and didn’t want to pay for a data plan she never used. So she ordered herself an LG Cosmos, which is a quite a nice little phone if you don’t want much in the way of apps and don’t need web browsing (well, it CAN do that, but it’s not ideal). It can get your email as well (again, not ideal). But, it’s a solid phone with a nice keyboard.
The first issue to arise was getting her contacts from the Centro to the Cosmos. Verizon helpfully includes a sheet of instructions in the package. Of course they explain that the ONLY way to do this is by downloading their app, Backup Assistant, at $1.99 per MB for phones without a data plan. The program, or app, (which is free) is only about 1MB, but it’s the point of the matter.
The second issue, which I didn’t think I could solve, was that we have shared Google Calendars. The LG Cosmos has a calendar program, but I seriously doubted I could get Outlook’s calendar imported to it.
It didn’t take much nosing around online to solve all of these issues. Here’s how to do it.
1. If you need to get your Google calendar into Outlook then you have several options. There are two I would recommend. The first is Google’s own sync tool. It works great, but it only syncs your primary calendar. If you have multiple calendar, as we do, then you can use SyncMyCal, which I reviewed a while back.
2. Make sure Outlook is closed and download and install.
3. Once the plug-in is installed open Outlook and you now see a menu item LG Outlook Sync.
4. Click on the menu and choose Sync Option and then set it up to sync contacts and calendar in whatever way you want.
5. Once you have chosen and saved your settings you can click Sync Device and you’re done.